As you probably know, when you transition out of the military there are tons of decisions you’ll have to make about the future for you and your family. One of the most important decisions you will have to make is whether you are going to start a career or potentially plan on going back to school. Luckily there are tools and resources available to help you make this very important decision.
Have you heard of VA Chapter 36? If you are transitioning out of the military within the next six months or you’re within one year post-transition then you’ll want to keep reading to learn more about this amazing resource.
Chapter 36 is a Personalized Career Planning and Guidance (PCPG) service available to Veterans and their qualified dependents. This tool helps to make the decision process about school or career easier and the best part is it’s personalized to each individual because we know there isn’t a one size fits all approach to this decision.
There are a few qualifications you’ll need to meet in order to start claiming these benefits. You must:
- Be discharged under conditions other than dishonorable from active duty within 6 months, or
- Separated from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable not more than one year ago, or
- Qualify as a Veteran or service member for educational assistance under a VA educational program, or
- Are a service member, Veteran, or dependent currently eligible for VA education benefits
If you fit into one of these categories then there is a good chance you will qualify for some great benefits provided by Chapter 36. These benefits include:
- Career counseling to help you decide which civilian or military jobs you might want
- Educational counseling to help you find a training program or field of study that interests you
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help you address issues or barriers that get in the way of your future success
- Resume support and goal planning to help you put your best foot forward
So, you are probably asking yourself “how do I apply for Chapter 36?” Well, it’s easy. There are 3 ways to apply for these benefits. You can:
- Apply online using your ebenefits account, or
- Apply by mail using VA Form 28-8832, or
- Take your application to your nearest regional office or VetSuccess on Campus counselor
Once your application is reviewed you will receive an invitation for orientation if you’re determined to be eligible.
If you have any other questions you can check out this video from the VA that gives a little more information about Chapter 36.
Have a question about your Veteran benefits? You can email us today! If you are within one-year pre to post-military separation, you can enroll in our FREE program by setting up a call with one of our transition coaches.