If you are a Servicemember or Veteran with certain permanent or total service-connected disabilities you could be eligible to receive a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant from the VA. A SAH grant helps with the purchase or construction of an adapted home or with modifications to an existing home to help accommodate a disability.
The SAH grant is available to Veterans or Servicemembers who have a service-connected disability due to military service, entitling them to compensation for permanent and total disability due to:
- The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair; OR
- Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity; OR
- The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with:
(1) Residuals of organic disease or injury, or
(2) The loss or loss of use of one upper extremity.
Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair; OR
- The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude use of the arms at or above the elbows; OR
- Severe burn injuries; OR
- The loss or loss of use of one or more lower limbs due to service on or after September 11, 2001. This must affect your balance or movement, and hinder walking without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair. This disability type is limited to 30 participants per Fiscal Year.
The SAH grant typically covers the following modifications:
- Bathrooms, kitchens, and bedrooms
- Covered porches, ramps, and walkways
- Garages, carports, and passageways
- Doors, windows, and flooring
- Security items
- Concrete or asphalt walkways
- Sliding doors, handrails, and grab bars
- Additional elements as per the VA
Grants of up to $100,896 are awarded to eligible disabled veterans to help build or modify homes to best suit their needs.
You do not have to own the house you occupy and may be eligible for a Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant based on the following requirements:
- Qualify for a SAH or SHA grant
- You live temporarily in a family member’s home that needs changes to meet your needs.
Have a question about your Veteran benefits? You can email us today! If you are within one-year pre to post-military separation, you can enroll in our FREE program by setting up a call with one of our transition coaches.